Jan 31, 2008

The one with the waggly tail


Early in November I began my Christmas shopping, hoping to have it all finished shortly after Thanksgiving. At Park Meadows Mall the Sundance store had recently opened and I had not yet browsed their beautifully rugged wears. I walked through the big barn doors, noticing the weathered wooden floor, thinking I would simply window shop, as I figured the store really didn’t have anything specific for those on my shopping list. However, I noticed an entire section devoted to our four legged friends.

I purchased a handsome red dog biscuit pale filled to the brim with all natural puppy treats, and also picked up a copy of Second Chances. With these two greats buys I quickly crossed my dog off my list – the presents were even wrapped in sturdy orange boxes donned with teal ribbons. Yes, I did just write that I bought my dog Christmas presents (55 percent of dog owners buy their pets holiday presents).

I recently finished reading Second Chances and am now all the more certain that Riley and I were each other’s second chance. This spring I will have had Riley for two years. She spent several months in various shelters before she finally found her way to me – and I had spent several months searching for the perfect canine companion before I found my way to her. Last week I bought the other book in the series Found Dogs, and I’ve truly found out that as Louis Sabin has said, “No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.

No comments: